Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Because I don't want to end up like

them. (If you don't want to watch the whole 10 minutes, here's the shorter version.)

When I first saw this, I thought this was highly entertaining. But now I'm not so sure. They are ridiculous. This is not even sharing your opinion. This is 'I'm-right-you're-wrong-and-if-you-disagree-with-me-I'm-gonna-smash-a-chair-on-your-head type thing.'

Why do politics release the beast in us? Why do nice people turn into such tyrants with red faces and veins popping out of their necks, and call it 'sticking to your guns?' Why must we always make sure we remain loyal to our political label, because if we don't, we'll be called a flip-flopper and indecisive. And ooooh, we certainly don't want that! Because looking back on the past, and learning from previous decisions is the last thing on earth we want to do!

It always surprises me (especially in Utah) to hear people bear powerful testimonies on Sunday, and then become monsters during the week when politics are released on them.
Why do people let go of their values and lower themselves, just to prove their point to people who slightly disagree with them? Can't we just 'not like' a political party and leave it at that? WHY do we have to insult each other just to prove that our so called 'way of thinking' is the correct way? And what is so glorious about doing it out in the open for everyone to see?

I am guilty of sometimes loosing it as well. Ok, probably not as bad as the example on top, but there are times when I came really close.
Well, I'm done with that. I don't want to end up like those decent women on the view. I think it's senseless to destroy your image over politics. So I've decided to do away with the political label. I am not going to fight.

When writing this post a few scriptures about worshiping other gods came to mind. Also the Scripture about being in one heart seemed appropriate.

And no, this does not mean Ellen is going to stop following up on the news and politics. Believe me, Ellen is still gonna have the label 'Liberal Mormon' on her forehead, and it's gonna take one heck of a laser surgery to get it of. And if I was at BYU this year, I would still be outside the JSM building, protesting against Mr. Cheney.

But I'm done with the fighting. It really does not make life easier to live with a constant hatred and fear in your heart, for something so abstract as politics.

No comments: